How to get PR in Australia

Ways in Which You Can Become an Australian Permanent Resident

There are several factors that can make you look for a permanent residency in another country. One of the main reasons most people seek for permanent residency in other countries are:

  • education,
  • employment
  • good working conditions
  • good living conditions

in a destination country. Australia is among the top countries receiving numerous foreign citizens who either go for education or employment purposes. Since Australia is liked by many people worldwide, how to get pr in Australia maybe the riddling question in your mind. To get a PR in Australia, you need to follow a well laid down procedure to obtain the privilege of becoming a resident. On any given time you may possess just one visa, but over the time as your circumstances may change you may apply for a different visa.

As a migrant who is given permanent resident visa by the Australian government, you can live in Australia for an indefinite period, however, to obtain permanent residency you need to follow some steps. There are 2 main pathways how people get PR in Australia, through:

  • skilled migration, and
  • family migration.

australian permanent residents on horses with australia flags in handsHow to get PR in Australia through General Skilled Migration

The winners are those people who possess skills which are in demand in Australia. If your occupation is listed on SOL list, you’ve been working in your occupation for several years and additionally your education is aligned with your profession, you might be eligible for a skilled independent visa (subclass 189). There are some points based criteria  (skills, education, language, age, etc). If you’ll be able to “collect” enough points you may lodge EOI (Expression of Interest) to the department of Immigration and if they may invite you to lodge for a visa. On this stage, you’ll have to provide all the relevant documentation.

If your occupation is on CSOL List or you are unable to collect enough points for a skilled independent visa, there could be another option for you. Skilled Nominated Visa (permanent residency visa subclass 190) is another option for those less fortunate with occupation from CSOL list. Some states are nominating certain professionals, but in return, they do expect you’ll be living in that particular state at least for few years.

If you are not able to collect enough points for a skilled visa, you may consider applying for a temporary visa which in return after some time might give you some additional points. For example: getting a degree in Australia may give you few more points, working for few years in Australia in your dedicated occupation may give you few additional points, polishing your English and getting better results on a language test will give you few more points – opportunities seems to be endless. Keep in mind situation of every person is different and it is in your best interest to seek for migration agent’s advice.

How to get PR in Australia through employer sponsored visa

Employer sponsored visas falls under “skilled migration” category as are also based on your work experience. If you are lucky enough to be able to find an employer who’d be also willing to sponsor you for a visa, you might be on a right path to obtain your permanent residency. The most common way to get sponsored by an employer is through temporary 457 visa, which after 2 years might be converted to PR (more about converting 457 to PR here). There are other temporary visas which give you work right (student visa – part time only, working holiday, student graduate, and others). Quite often once you’ll prove to your employer that you are trustworthy professional they’ll be willing to assist you with your PR application through 457 visa or straight away to ENS os RSMS.

How to get PR in Australia through business visa

There are certain types of visa available for those with really deep pocket and proven business experience.

How to get PR in Australia through family migration

When you have a partner in Australia you may be eligible to apply for a partner visa which will allow you to live in Australia on a permanent basis. Keep in mind this is 2 stage visa – firstly is granted for 2 years, and after that period of time if your relationship is still continuing you’ll be granted a permanent visa. Other family related visas are for parents of Australians and / or children and last remaining relives.

When you will be granted with permanent residency visa, you can live in Australia as long as you wish and after few years you may have the privilege to apply for the Australian citizenship.

Remember that the situation of every person is different and there could be various ways which can lead to permanent residency. Which one would be the best for you? Book an appointment with our migration agent and we’ll find out the answer for you.

You may also give us a call to discuss your options.

How to get pr in Australia
5 (100%) 6 votes

Related Post

Queensland announces state sponsorship for interna... The Queensland Government has announced that it will sponsor international students who have completed at least a Masters Degree in Queensland.  A suc...
Kevin Rudd will drop the Gillard blitz on 457 visa... Kevin Rudd yesterday (26/6/2013) take back a position of Australia's Prime Minister. Good news for prospective 457 applicants and Australian business...
New criminal and civil penalties introduced for pe... Charging for a Migration Outcome Bill 2015: New criminal and civil penalties introduced On 14 December 2015, new criminal and civil penalties and v...
The Australian Government is reconsidering the bac... According to an article published by ABC the Australian Government is “reconsidering” the “backpacker tax”. This issue has been a hot topic for the pa...

2 thoughts on “How to get pr in Australia

  • 1 November 2016 at 11:31

    Hi i want to know more about australia migration

    • 28 December 2016 at 13:35

      You’re in a good companion then!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *