Department of Immigration announced:
From 24 November 2012 the following visa subclasses will no longer be open to new applicants:
- Government Agreement (Subclass 406) visa
- Exchange (Subclass 411) visa
- Foreign Government Agency (Subclass 415) visa
- Visiting Academic (Subclass 419) visa
- Sport (Subclass 421) visa
- Medical Practitioner (Subclass 422) visa
- Media and Film Staff (Subclass 423) visa
- Domestic Worker (Temporary) – Diplomatic or Consular (Subclass 426) visa
- Domestic Worker (Temporary) – Executive (Subclass 427) visa
- Religious Worker (Subclass 428) visa
- Occupational Trainee (Subclass 442) visa
- Professional Development (Subclass 470) visa.
Applicants who were previously eligible for the visas listed above may be eligible for one of the following five visa subclasses:
- Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) (Subclass 401) visa
- Training and Research (Subclass 402) visa
- Temporary Work (International Relations) (Subclass 403) visa
- Temporary Work (Entertainment (Subclass 420) visa
- Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa.
There will also be changes from 24 November 2012 to the way the following visas operate:
- Entertainment (Subclass 420) visa
- Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457) visa.