457 to PR. How To Convert your 457 to Permanent Residency

Do You want to convert your 457 visa to PR?

Let me make it easy for you! Do you want to know if you are eligible for employer-sponsored PR visa? Click the button below and answer a few questions. I’ll get back to you. At this point, it will cost you nothing.

457 to PR eligibility check

457 to PR eligibility check

If you want to miss a chance of becoming permanent resident – keep reading.

If any of these below does apply to you:

  • You are working on a 457 visa and have been residing in Australia for a long time now.
  • Your employer is happy to assist you with getting your 457 visa converted to PR
  • You found that being a permanent resident of Australia would be a great advantage because this country is a great place to live with your loved one’s for the rest of your days.
  • Although you came to Australia as a single person you found your love here and now you’d like to stay with your partner in Australia permanently.

you might be on a good way to convert 457 to permanent residency.

The easiest way to ensure you’d be eligible for a permanent residence is to speak with a Migration Agent. Let us know about your case o we can assist, call us at (07) 3668 0658 and we will assess your case and let you know what’s the best way for you to get a PR granted.

No matter if you decide to sort your visa status by yourself or allow us to do the rest of the hard paperwork for you, feel free to continue reading this article as we will uncover some mysteries about converting 457 to PR.

What are the options to convert your 457 to PR

457 to pr workersMost common options in converting 457 visa to permanent residency are:

  • Through Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS/RSMS) (457 to 186 visa or 187 visa)
    • temporary residence transition stream
    • direct entry stream
  • Through Skilled Migration (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489)
  • Applying for a partner visa as a spouse of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS/RSMS) (457 to 186) as a pathway to PR

This is the most common option people who are a holder of a temporary 457 visa and wish to stay and live in Australia as a Permanent Resident are using. After two (2) years on a 457 working visa, people seems to naturally consider applying for ENS/RSMS visa.

What are the basic requirements to pursue 457 to 186 (457 to ENS):

  1. Your employer has fulfilled all the commitments as a 457 visa sponsor for the last 2 years;
  2. You have been working in the same position with the same employer for last 2 years (exemptions may apply)
  3. You sat an English test and obtained required score (if you are a passport holder of the UK, USA or Ireland, you don’t have to sit the test – department of immigration believes you can speak English on required level)
  4. You haven’t been naughty – your and your family’s police records are clear.
  5. You are set to pay few thousand dollars for your visa processing to the Department of Immigration (it will be a higher amount for ones with spouse or children). It’s not cheap, unfortunately.

It happens, that people on 457 visa lose their jobs for different reasons. This is a serious concern especially when the economy slacks off. However, if you would already be a permanent residency visa holder, you would not have to rely so much on keeping your job with your present employer. Therefore as sooner you’d apply for PR as better. For some, it might be a surprise that you don’t have to wait for 2 years to apply for ENS/RSMS visa. Your employer may sponsor you earlier. It’s a bit harder as your skills will have to be assessed by an independent body and English requirement is higher that with a 457 to PR transition stream, but – you don’t have to wait for 2 years.

ENS/RSMS Process

ENS and RSMS visa process is quite similar to 457 – there is monination and visa application required.

Please note – RSMS is only applicable for employers coming from Regional Australia (Regional Australia is described in the migration regulations – there is a list of postcodes of the areas which are eligible for this visa).

Employers are required to present the company profile and its financial status as a basic component of this procedure. They should also show compliance with training benchmark measures and specifications to be able to nominate a candidate. It means they would have spend to date either:

  1. Not less than 1% of payroll on training Australian employees (NOT 457 visa holders), or
  2. Donate 2% of payroll to an Industry Training Fund

Proof of above is mandatory, otherwise converting your 457 visa to Permanent Residency might be in jeopardy. It is always best to seek assistance from a Migration Agent for information when in doubt to tackle this tricky part of the process.

457 to PR temporary residence transition stream requirements

  • Working for a certain employer for at least two (2) years in Australia on a subclass 457 visa is necessary.
  • Skills assessment is not necessary
  • English language proficiency requirement is lower
  • Medical and character examinations are required
  • If you have changed your employer in the past, your 2 years period might be started over. So better check if you are really eligible for this stream.

457 to PR direct entry stream requirements

You might be surprised but for ENS / RSMS direct entry stream there is no need for having a 457 visa to be qualified, you may apply for ENS / RSMS under this stream straight away. If you’ll be able to get your skills assessed by a certifying body and have 3 years of work experience related to your profession you might be eligible for ENS visa under Direct Entry Stream.

  • Your English skills must be assessed on a particular level (IELTS 6 or comparable).
  • Character and medical checks still need to be performed as part of the requirements.
  • There is no need for you to wait for two (2) years to be on a 457 visa to go through Direct Entry Stream.

Requirements for Direct entry are tougher than for transition stream, and for some individuals who are not able to pass Skills Assessment, and those who are unable to get through IELTS 6, the two (2) years on 457 Visa for a transition stream looks to be their best option.

Keep in mind it takes, at least, a couple of months for the department of immigration to assess your visa application and make a decision. 6 months is usual processing time for ENS visa.

Skilled Migration (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489) as a pathway to PR (457 to 189, 457 to 190, 457 to 489)

Skilled Migration (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489) is also one option for converting your 457 visa to PR. There is no need for an employer to avail this visa. It is a points-tested application. Points are considered from your level of education, age, years worked, English ability, etc. Initially, your skill and profession must be highly needed in Australia and is listed on SOL list or CSOL list. You will be half-way through if your occupation is currently on the list. Your skills will have to be evaluated by a certified body. Interesting is that you are not applying to get a visa right away, but first you’ll have to submit for an EOI (Expression of Interest). You will have to get a score of at least 60 points for Expression of Interest lodgment. If Department of Immigration will find your EOI content interesting and your nominated occupation is still below their current ceiling for a current financial year, they’ll request you to apply for a visa. You’ll have 2 months to provide all the necessary documents, so better have everything ready before lodging for EOI. Department of Immigration chooses, in their good judgment, individuals who in their opinion possess the exceptional skills which will benefit to the Australian economy. Those who gets the high scores warrant invitation for visa application in the first place. State Nomination may be the option to speed up the processing and advance your application if your points are short.

Partner Migration as a pathway to PR (457 to 820)

Partner Visa, is a commonly used option in converting 457 to PR, even for individuals with expired visas, who are in a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident. If you are a decent 457 visa holder and you have an Australian partner you love so much and your relationship could be proven as genuine and on-going, you can certainly submit your application based on that condition. You don’t even need to get married to qualify for a Partner visa. De facto and same-sex relationships for at least twelve (12) months and longer could be eligible and qualify for a partner visa (at times being less than twelve (12) months in the relationship is sufficient). Partner visa normally is granted for three (3) years. After about two (2) years the Department of Immigration will check if you’re still a couple in a genuine relationship. They will request you to provide with some information to establish if permanent residence could be granted.

Changes to 457 visa programme

You might be wondering if there were any changes or updates to the rules on converting 457 to PR in 2016? Not yet, but changes are definitely coming. Over the years, 457 visa programme saw many changes and adjustments. Conducted in the year 2015 457 visa programme review introduced some significant changes to the program, but it looks it did not make everybody happy. A debate about changes is continuing and more alterations could be seen coming. Surprisingly it is a political debate because some individuals do not want overseas workforce coming to Australia whereas the others believe that without skilled overseas workers coming, Australian economy may suffer.

Above is just a summary of what you need to know and consider if you are a 457 working visa holder willing to apply for permanent residency. For more information, you can always call us at (07) 3668 0658 or book a consultation online for an appointment. Rest assured, we will do the job for you and counsel you about the options that would be the most appropriate in your situation.

457 to PR eligibility check


Feel free to comment or ask a question below.

457 to PR
4.5 (89.23%) 13 votes

27 thoughts on “457 to PR

  • 20 February 2016 at 02:26

    Common misconception about 457 visa, most people think it is automatically converted to permanent residence after two years, which in fact is not correct.

  • 21 February 2016 at 18:08

    How does the Department of Immigration contact the couple to verify if they are still together after about two years? Do they really proactively offer the option to apply for permanent residency?

    • 14 March 2016 at 19:45

      When you apply for 820 you are also applying for 801. Two years after a date of 820 application lodgement, you will become eligible for 801 application lodgment. Case officer from the Department of Immigration will send you an e-mail that the time for you 801 visa application lodgement is coming. You will have to provide with similar documents for 801 as for 820.

  • 27 March 2016 at 16:57

    Excellent opportunity.

  • 10 April 2016 at 03:33

    When I submit EOI for PR then should I use the EOI created for 457 visa or do I have to create a new one.?

    • 10 April 2016 at 12:57

      EOI is being used only for GSM visas (189, 190, 489). You may have submitted one some time ago to lure potential employers, but if you want to apply for GSM visa now, make sure there is all the relevant information for a particular visa you are applying for at the moment.

  • 3 September 2016 at 10:47

    Hi… We are on 457 visa from 3 years in 3 years we changed 2 sponsor in first my wife worked with them for 6 months and 2nd she worked for 2 years after completing 2 years company has shut down so I want to know we can apply for pr our self she got in iltes 6 and each and she got overseas exp of 6 years plz guide us thanks ,,,,,syed

    • 28 December 2016 at 14:02

      Full assessment of your case would be required to check if you’d be eligible for 190 or 189 visa.

  • 16 October 2016 at 07:48

    Hello there
    You have a very good article that helps us understand pathways to PR. Its not easy.
    I am a 457 worker in Charleville QLD.
    Please let me know What should I do if I have worked 3.5 years for the same employer and now he does not want to sponsor me for my application for PR? During work process the Foreman bullied me alot and he reported to the Director I am not good…
    What should I do???
    Thank you so much.

    • 28 December 2016 at 13:45

      1. Check if you’d be able to apply for PR under GSM (General Skilled Migration – 189 / 190 visa)
      2. Find a different employer who’d be willing to sponsor you for a visa

  • 18 October 2016 at 12:14

    I am now in 457 visa I have completed 3 yrs in australia as a cook with two different employers , I have 6 each in ielts , can I apply for 457 direct entry individually, but I cannot understand I should go which type of skill test as a cook.? please give me the information. Thanks

    • 28 December 2016 at 13:43

      TRA is a body responsible for assessment of Cook (351411).

  • 6 November 2016 at 17:18

    If after 2 years of employment on 457 visa, the nominated occupation is removed from CSOL then can i apply for ENS through a closely matching occupation?

  • 23 November 2016 at 00:48

    Hi there I just have a question I am at 457 Visa my two years completing soon so I have a plan to apply PR .My Partner and my son they are here with me at 457 Visa as well . I have discussed with immigration lawyer and he said my partner also required IELTS 4.5 score for PR application . Is that true?my wife has done bachelor in Commerce Subjects does it help to get waved of IELTS restriction thanks Dear for your kindness ,

    • 28 December 2016 at 13:31

      Apart from language test the other ways to satisfy department of immigration that a person’s language ability is on a “functional: level are:
      – You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
      – A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English.
      – Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

  • 29 December 2016 at 18:29

    Can you please tell me after 2 years 457 visa how many ielts score need to apply pr?

    • 29 December 2016 at 21:06

      at least 5 in each component of IELTS test for Transition Stream.

  • 25 January 2017 at 02:45

    My 457 Visa is expired and currently am working in India.

    Earlier I worked in melbourne till last year i.e 2016 and had experience letter from the employer for 2 years period ie from January 2014 to March 2016.

    In order to apply for Streamline pathway to Victorian state nomination for current or recent subcalss 457 , i came to know that a confirmation of employment letter is required as attached in the email.

    Firstly please let me know if i am eligible through streamline pathway and if i am eligible
    Can you please let me know, While filling the attachment document do i need to take the Primary Applicant confirmation and secondary applicant confirmation from my current employer in India?

    • 25 January 2017 at 19:59

      Sorry. This question is not clear to me. I might be able to assist if I’d know what’s in that email you’ve received. Please contact us if you’d like us to follow up.

  • 18 April 2017 at 17:56

    I got a 457 visa granted in june 2016, but only for 2 years (?). Now, with the 457visa abolition, is there a way to extend my current visa to go 4 years in total, or will I have to apply for the new versions (short-term or med-term) when mines gets to its end?


    • 17 August 2017 at 12:12

      You’ll have to apply for a new visa with new rules. Whether you’ll get it for 2 or 4 years depends on your occupation. I’d suggest applying for PR as long as you can. From 01/03/2018 you may no longer be eligible.

  • 21 April 2017 at 21:59

    Hi Iam on 457 visa about to lodge 186 visa in August
    Actually will finish 2 years on may 11 but in between I have applied for renewal of my 457 visa.
    First I have got the visa for 1 year bcoz of the new employer then I got it for 4 more years.
    When I got my 457 visa 2nd time I was bridging visa for 3 months and later I got approved on 2nd August.
    So I’m waiting till August to lodge my ENS.
    Still do I need 6.0 IELTS if I apply after 1st July as per new rules?
    Or as per Grandfathering clause it should be same old rule of IELTS 5.0 each.
    Please let me know thank you.

    • 17 August 2017 at 12:10

      6.0 in each component is required

  • 22 April 2017 at 23:41

    excuse me i have 457 more than 2 years and i want to convert my visa to pr , also my ielts test is for more than 3 years ego but i got 6 each for skill.
    just id like to noe i need new ielts test ?

    • 17 August 2017 at 12:09

      New english test is required.

  • 4 May 2017 at 17:10

    I got 2 year 457 visa which comes under the latest rule of April ,2017.i am a registered nurse in australia.i would like to know whether I can apply for Visa 190 or 189

    • 17 August 2017 at 12:08

      If you’ll be able to gather enough points, very likely – yes


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *